Molds live in the soil, on plants, and on dead or decaying matter.
Molds will often grow in damp or wet areas indoors.Common sites for indoor mold growth include bathroom tile, basement walls, areas around windows where moisture condenses, and near leaky water fountains or sinks.Common sources or causes of water or moisture problems include roof leaks, deferred maintenance, condensation associated with high humidity or cold spots in the building, localized flooding due to plumbing failures or heavy rains, slow leaks in plumbing fixtures, and malfunction or poor design of humidification systems.Uncontrolled humidity can also be a source of moisture leading to mold growth, particularly in hot, humid climates.Molds produce tiny spores to reproduce, just as some plants produce seeds.
These mold spores can be found in both indoor and outdoor air, and settled on indoor and outdoor surfaces.
When mold spores land on a damp spot, they may begin growing and digesting whatever they are growing on in order to survive.
Since molds gradually destroy the things they grow on, you can prevent damage to building materials and furnishings and save money by eliminating mold growth. Molds need both food and water to survive; since molds can digest most things, water is the factor that limits mold growth.
When moisture problems occur and mold growth results, building occupants may begin to report odors and a variety of health problems, such as headaches, breathing difficulties, skin irritation, allergic reactions, and aggravation of asthma symptoms; all of these symptoms could potentially be associated with mold exposure.
All molds have the potential to cause health effects.
Molds produce allergens, irritants, and in some cases, toxins that may cause reactions in humans.