It was discovered in 1886 during road building just east of Riverdale Park.
It contained human remains and other artifacts dating back to about 5000 years BP.
Petroleum storage facilities, poultry and pork processing plants were constructed along the banks of the Don. In the 1880s, the lower part of the Don south of the former Winchester St.
bridge was straightened (east of the original mouth) and placed in a channel to create additional harbour space and industrial dock space for boats.
Known as The Don Improvement Project, the straightened river was also supposed to divert the polluted waters into the Ashbridges Bay marsh.
The Don River is a watercourse in southern Ontario, that empties into Lake Ontario, at Toronto Bay.
Its mouth was just east of the street grid of the town of York, Upper Canada, the municipality that evolved into Toronto, Ontario.
Of the various watercourses that drained Toronto, the Don, the Humber River, and the Rouge River have headwaters in the Oak Ridges Moraine.The Don is formed from two rivers, the East and West Branches, that meet about 7 kilometres (4 mi) north of Lake Ontario while flowing southward into the lake.The area below the confluence is known as the lower Don, and the areas above as the upper Don.The Don is also joined at the confluence by a third major branch, Taylor-Massey Creek.The Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) is responsible for managing the river and its surrounding watershed.The most significant recorded find is known as the Withrow Site.